I used a simple base-coat and wash technique to finish my US Army for Bolt Action. It is a quick and easy technique that produces pretty good results for the table. If you are shy about painting I urge you to go for it and start with this technique. It can also be brought up more by simple adding a layer of highlight or two. This technique could be used on anything by just changing the colors. I’ll also cover the colors I used if you are interested for your own US force and how I did the basing.
Listening to the cast you have probably heard about how I finished my US Army force for Bolt Action. This is the first full army in any game I have completed! This post is just to showcase and let you see what I have collected so far. For newer players, maybe you can get some ideas of what to buy or ways to approach the hobby side of the game. (more…)
Well it may be a little late with the Heroes of the Resistance coming fairly soon but I had started this just before its announcement. I’m still glad I did it and I have a Poe Dameron black and orange x-wing before the release. I wasn’t going for super detailed but I would have to say the quality is still better than a stock model so there is some satisfaction there as well. Here’s a look at mine and a bit of a guide if you want to do this repaint.
I recently finished this Sherman tank for my Bolt Action demo game set. Being in the US, people see the Americans and instantly relate to them which helps draw them into the demo game. After all, the key is to get them started! While doing the model, I explored some new weathering techniques that I learned at Adepticon and I was amazed at how easy they worked and how great the finished product ended up looking.
I haven’t quite set on a list yet, but I will post my final lists after the event.
So far, I have finished an Auxillia and her Auxbot, an ORC Troop (picture is still WIP) and nearly finished a Guarda de Assalto with Auxbot (really just basing and a little shading at this point). Once those last figures are finished I want to work up another Auxillia and Auxbot (can’t have too many models that can be specialists) and an Aquila Gaurd. With those finished, I really have a list starting to shape up, but there will be 4-5 more models I would like to have finished to give me a little more to work with to list build with before this event.
This is pretty much the final model at this point. I have done a couple of little touch ups, but nothing significant from this picture. You can see in the original post, the start of the color scheme and now in this near finished model you can really see the difference and direction I was working towards. I have to note that the way the flesh tone worked it’s way out, it’s not entirely the way I envisioned it, but it’s pretty satisfying and I am really happy with it.
More Infinity! New project and what will be my army of choice some day with this game I think. Combined Army. Very much a WIP so far getting assembly and initial paint scheme down.
I am working the models in an all NMM scheme using blues as my primary color. I am using it in the metal plates of the armor to give it a blue tint and you can see it some in the plates currently, but I have probably 5-6 more layers at least before I get to a final highlight.
Just a little work lately that I have been doing. Yes, that’s right. We recorded a podcast and now I am motivated to paint models again! Thanks everyone for listening and gotta say I am excited to keep working on models as I get my Soviets for Bolt Action ready to go for Adepticon.
Yeah, that’s what it looks like. The iconic Games-Workshop Chaos Space Marine from the Black Legion. I am not sure why, maybe it’s my desire to experiment with other games, maybe it’s my desire to just give GW my paycheck, but I decided to work on my old 40k army. This time though, instead of matching any existing color scheme I had with them I decided I would try my hand at making a unit (maybe more) of Black Legion marines.
This model is a bit of a test model. I worked very hard on how I did the black, and if I get around to it, I will put up a tutorial if your interested. I have said for a long time, don’t paint black. So this was a challenge because the model’s primary color is black. I wanted the armor to be dark, near black but with a bit of gloss and shine to it as well as just enough gray it was convincing, but not so much that it just looked gray and not black. I think that worked well.
If you saw the video of New Stuff, Episode 3 on our YouTube channel then you know what I thought of the starter box. Now, I need to get this set built, painted and demo ready in 8 days after acquiring it. After figuring that it would take me 2 days roughly to build and undercoat it, that leaves about 6 days to paint 47 models. That’s roughly 8 models a day. Ooff.
Well, off to a good start, 20 models complete today. I have painted all of the Bloodreavers from the starter. These are possibly the most complex of the models with the most color changes, with lots of flesh tones, reds, silvers and bronzes. Check them out as well as the rest of the figures from the starter. I will keep adding them to this post through the rest of this week.
7/14/2015 Update: 5 Blood Warriors and 1 Bloodsecrator is now complete. Right on schedule so far.
7/16/2015 Update: The remains of the chaos in the starter. Chaos Lord, Bloodstoker, and Khorgorath complete.
7/17/2015 AM Update: 5 Stormcast Eternals wrapped up before I go to work. Just had to finish their basing from the previous night.