Welcome to WiscoDice!!! WiscoDice is now available on the following platforms:
More places where you can find and subscribe to the show!
Over the next 3-4 months I’m going to be building out my Undead Legion army as part of our local Escalation League. I’ve not done an escalation league before but anything that adds variety to the hobby is ok by me. I’m not familiar enough on how others do escalation, but basically we are building/painting/playing 500pts/month. In January we’ll play 500pt games, February 1000pt, etc. And I’m taking on a pretty ambitious project with the theme of this army.
This project was initial inspired by the release of the Wood Elf book. I had almost chosen them as my first army (but the Ogre models are hard to beat) and the new book came out when I was still pretty fresh to Warhammer. But a number of things conspired to make this my first terrain project.
Spent most of the last Paint Day cracking down on this bad boy. He’s a Big ‘Un in my upcoming Orc band for Mordheim. I’m having so much fun converting and painting for a system that takes so few models and really encourages customization. Da Fops (aka Orcs in Hats) are a real product of that: fancy imperial noble style clothing and garish, garish colors. Each of the (so far 7) models is getting a different color scheme, so they’ll offer quite the assault on my opponent’s eyes…WAAAAGH!
For your viewing pleasure, today I present some bases for my Battlefleet Gothic ships. These were one of my projects during our paint day at Pegasus Games, and I’ve gotta say, they’re super fun to do. The deep space starfield effect was achieved with an old but still relatively stiff large brush that I dipped in the paint and just flicked onto the bases. White gets the heaviest coverage obviously, but there are also two shades each of red, blue, and yellow. I then went back in with black and touched up any areas where the paint formed a line splatter rather than a dot (originally I tried using an old toothbrush to flick the paint on, but it resulted in too many lines vs dots). Finally, a detail brush was used to add in larger white stars dotted around at random. The nebulae were achieved with a sort of blotting, stippling, drybrushy effect that I’m not sure how to properly describe, but each one only took about 5-6 colors advancing in a standard highlight progression of darker to lighter. While experimenting I found it very important to end by mixing your final color with white to get a very light shade; this really makes the final product pop!
Now I just need to go back and add heading lines to the bases, as BFG is a game where the facing of your ships is super important, and a getting an angle wrong by just a few degrees can be the difference between victory and defeat. Oh, and I suppose eventually adding some ships to the bases might help too…