If you go back a while, Brian wrote up this great article reviewing the Bolt Action: Assault on Normandy Review product which can be purchased at your FLGS or at the Warlord On-Line Store. I would like to continue that review with a little extra, how do you grow it.
So in the box, you have 12 Germans, a Hanomag, and 20 US troops.
Ideally built, for the Germans you end up with something like the following:
- 1 Lt with whatever gun you like (I recommend an Assualt Rifle for in game effectiveness or a pistol or rifle if you are going historical) and 1 assistant likely armed the same
- 2, 5 rifleman squads armed with rifles and an NCO probably with an SMG
- 1 Hanomag – don’t bother gluing on the rear MMG.
Ideally built for the Americans, you end up with something like:
- 1 Lt with an SMG likely, and 1 buddy to go with him also armed with an SMG.
- 2, 8 men squads with NCO with MMG and 1 man with a BAR
- 1 Sniper team
Of course, you can build them a bunch of different ways, but this way you end up with what will be a table legal force that you can play with for both sides. I think early on, in your games, you are going to find that the American’s have a slight advantage. You will also find that you just don’t have a lot that you can do with these models once you really have the basic mechanics of the game down. So what do you do next?